Thursday, September 24, 2009

Death Wish Remake Rumor

HOW DID I MISS THIS???????

This is exciting to me, especially with Stallone interested. Gonna watch Copland again and see what the total potential is! Check it out.

All from Variety.

"After a recent resurgence with sequels "Rocky Balboa" and the upcoming "Rambo," Sylvester Stallone is taking aim at an MGM remake of the 1974 Charles Bronson starrer "Death Wish."

Stallone is in talks to direct and star as an ordinary man who goes vigilante after his wife and daughter are attacked. Set to write the script are Michael Ferris and John Brancato, whose credits include "Terminator 3" and "Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins."

Paramount Pictures controls some "Death Wish" rights and has an option to partner. MGM will make the pic whether or not Par opts in, and if a writers strike is settled in short order, MGM will try to start production before March. Stallone's partner, Kevin King, will be a producer."

""We are looking at our library to determine which potential franchise properties make the most sense for us to produce, and 'Death Wish' was clearly one of that jumped out," said MGM chief operating officer Rick Sands. "We hope to get a deal done with Sylvester Stallone to direct and star, and like the 'Rocky' and 'Rambo' films, we see this as another potential franchise for him.""

4 comments:

  1. Interesting news. Wonder if they are going back to the book or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know...I think some things ought not to be messed with! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree but if you watch some of stallones more dramatic roles you get a sense that he can pull it off. Look at the dark streets feel of nighthawks or the torn character in copland. I see potential with stallone. Like Bronson he is a action hero that can blend it action and dramatic performances.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember hearing about this about a year ago (maybe a little less), and I assumed it had been shelved. Now I'm excited again!

    I, too, believe Stallone has the chops to pull it off, but I thought Nighthawks was terrible, and Copland was incredibly overrated, including Stallone's performance. I actually think the incredibly underrated, and little seen, Eye See You (forgive the shitty title) aka D-Tox (Forgive the alternative shitty title) is Stallone's best recent pre-Rocky Balboa performance (and film - it's low budget, but it works). I recommend that one. And, obviously, a bunch of his other work, but Eye See You was an unexpected gem.

    ReplyDelete