Sunday, November 8, 2009

Rocky IV

So, my friends came over and saw my Rocky bluray boxset, then opted to "see what Rocky IV looked like." Of course this turned into watching the whole film. I have never been the biggest fan of IV, but the more I see it the more I warm up to it. Although, I will never come to terms with that goddamn robot...
The overall structure of the film is pretty amazing. Its like a huge montage with little 2 minute spots of drama to "push the story". The fights in this one are pretty damn good. In Drago VS Apollo the hits hurt. Every time Drago smashes Apollo's head you feel it in your bones. There is one point when Apollo's head is slammed into minced meat and sweat explodes off of his fro in slow motion. An excellent reason to see it on bluray.

Rather than focusing on the Rocky Vs Drago fight I am more impressed by the preparation for it. Here's some things you can do to get ready to fight a roided out Russia hard ass:

Travel to Siberia
Lift stones
Lift stones with a rope
Lift a cart filled with people, dead man style
Pull a cart like a horse
Lift a downed carriage
One armed push-ups
Shadow boxing under a rope
Out run Russian spys and make them crash in the snow
And RUN TO THE TOP OF A MOUNTAIN!

In case you forgot...



3 comments:

  1. Yeah, that's part of my regular workout routine already...

    I've always loved this movie, but I am still heartbroken over the death of Apollo Creed everytime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Apollo's death was tough. I remember how shocked I was the first time I saw it. Dolph Lundgren is totally bad ass as Drago, and I like how Rocky had to get back to his roots to win.

    Rocky IV is by no means the best in the series, but it's infinitely better than V. Thank god Stallone eventually ended it right with Rocky Balboa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "that goddamn robot" is right. And that effin' workout... Jeez. Oh god, and that embarrassing thing with James Brown.

    You know, the more I write the more I am convincing myself that I should like this movie.

    JM

    ReplyDelete